Friday, March 12, 2010

My tumor is B RAF positive!

Just heard that my tumor tested positive for the BRAF mutation.  This along with my newly clean brain sets my eligibility up to particiapte in clinical trials like those using the new PLX 4032 drug discussed in the New York Times.  See my prior posts from late February for the NYTimes series on clinical trials.

My heartfelt thanks go out to Jessica Sweet, Dr. Kaufman's Assistant at Rush.  She doggedly pursued securing the crucial 2005 primary tumor block from ENH/Northshore Univ HealthSystem.  We are still struggling with the National Cancer Institute.  They have not released my 2007 tumor block.

Next kudos goes out to the man himself, fondly known as, Dr. K.  He expedited this process and eliminated the need to send my tumor out for testing at the lab in Portland, Oregan.  Yes Chicago, Rush is now providing B RAF testing!

I cannot offer you all a better example of why it is important to remain in legal possession of your tumors.  Hopefully we will be able to develop more biolabs to do the quality testing that is necessary now with our understanding of the degree that cancer mutates.

My next focus will be getting my tumor(s) tested for the N RAS mutation.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Dear Susan,

Again, we are glad to hear the good news.

Love,
Art and Ginny

Anonymous said...

Dear Susan,
I am Rosemarie's sister Phyllis. Ro was here last week and your Mom spent Suday with us hre in Naples,FL and filled us in and introduced me to your website. You are sooo courageous and a genius for taking your health into your own hands. We wish you the very best and will keep you in our thoughts and prayers.
Best Wishes,
Phyllis and Joe Crivelli