Wednesday, March 24, 2010

Treatment Update

Just wanted to update you on my current treatment plan. While my brain is clear, tumors in my liver and spleen have grown and multiplied.  Due to my 22 1/2 months using a chemo called Temodar, I am ineligible for PLX 4032,  I qualified for the expanded use of Ipilimumab, however, it was not clear that sites would be finished with their Internal Review Board approvals in time,  Hence, Dr. Kaufman and I have opted to use a chemo cocktail with a Braf mutation inhibitor for the next three weeks.  We will then reevaluate and either switch to Ipilimumab or continue with a second round of the chemo cocktail and Braf inhibitor.  Thus far, I am tolerating the treatment relatively well.  There is some fatigue but I continue to make plans for Chris' graduation, pick up Sachi from soccer practice, and developing the not for profit Skin of Steel organization.

2 comments:

Jeff said...

Hi Susan,
You are a true inspiration to the rest of us melanoma patients. I was recently diagnosed with Stage 3A and am starting high dose Interferon on April 5. I've been trying to learn as much as I can in a short time, and I saw your interview on WGN. My thoughts and prayers are with you as you help lead the fight.

Anonymous said...

keep up the fight mmg