Wednesday, January 20, 2010

Excellent Inaugural Flight...Rocky Landing

Hoping this post finds all of you ready for an adventurous and interesting day.

This is a quick post to let you know I am doing fine.  We had an amazing ride last week approaching IL-2 with several of Dr. K's new tools which enabled me to reach 6 rounds.  There is a definite benefit from being able to gain from others experience and Dr. K clearly has manipulated IL-2 a lot.

RUSH staff were real troopers.  At one point one of my nurses had to test my blood pressure every 5 minutes from 8pm until 1am, while we titrated a "constrictor" into me to kick my sleepy blood pressure up. Nurse Rhonda and my dear friend Karen Hirsch had the patience of saints.  Karen has seen me through many a rough time and continues to amaze me with her calmness. I on the otherhand, was not at my most zen.

In the meantime, poor Masuo was trying to get two teenagers through their last week of school before finals.  This was a little bit more of a challenge now that the kids are older and more aware.  Chris and Sachi have been incredible for almost five years now.  It is hard to believe this all started when Chris was 13 and Sachi was 11. Luckily, they have had my mother, Joan, to lean on throughout these years.

Perhaps the strongest sense I am left with is one of collaboration.  We are definitely charting new ground with Dr. K who seems like a humble but very able leader.  There is a lot to like about this guy which is important bkz the road I am on is rocky.

Lest anyone think this is a walk in the park, be assured that my landing was a challenge, filled with nausea, hallucinations, and vertigo.  Debbie Hepburn had the good sense to start very carefully monitoring the drugs when I could no longer keep it straight.  She is like a dog with a bone.  This is a good thing as we realize now we have to work harder at the "medication management process".  Deb has called for our own internal board review...and we will approach Series II in two or three weeks (that will be determined by a blood test today) a little tighter and sharper.  Timely drug delivery seems to be a real challenge, which is critical when you are need to take premeds for the drug.  Of course it is the gentle hand of Sharon Mann reminding me that while I fight like a tiger...we need to be sure to set some pillows, music, and bowls of soup aside for needed rest in the hospital too.

Lastly, I want you to know that I am dreaming big time these days.  I am just going to put this affirmation out there in the universe.

I WANT CHICAGO TO HAVE ONE OF THE BEST MELANOMA CLINICS IN THE WORLD.

I WANT TO RAISE A SHIT LOAD OF MONEY TO MAKE THIS HAPPEN...SOON.

ANYONE READING THIS IS CAPABLE OF HELPING ME, IN THEIR OWN UNIQUE WAY, TO MAKE THIS CLINIC A REALITY.

There I said it. Enough with traveling to the coasts.  Unfortunately, there are plenty of people right here in the Mid West facing this disease. Chicago has a terrific history of scientific discovery, philanthropy and guts which are the cornerstones of reaching a goal like this.  Now don't be surprised if I ask you for help.  I have some ideas and with determination and collaboration this can happen.  I still have to fight with melanoma, but I am also determined to push this goal hard.

OK now I am going to take a nap.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

A melanoma clinic in Chicago makes sense. I know you can do it.

Ginny