Friday, January 8, 2010

Starting IL-2 at RUSH on Monday, January 11th

NOTE: If you just want to know what is going to happen skip down to the 5th paragraph.

Well just as I expected, after careful consideration, IL-2 has been chosen as the next treatment. Some of you might remember that I had a lovely go round with two series of this drug at the National Cancer Institute in the fall of 2007. After two series there was no tumor regression and I was moved onto cell transfer therapy.

Why revisit a "failed" drug? Because we are trying to figure out how I lasted twenty-two and a half months, between Jan 2008 and Nov 2009, on a chemotherapy that had a 10% chance of success. Furthermore, when successful, that chemo is usually effective for only 9 months. Many of you know that after four clinical trials, IL-2, and chemo, I refer to myself as a human cocktail.


http://www.food2.com/images/blogposts/Sexy-Halloween-Cocktails.jpg
Susan as a Cocktail

Consequently, it could be that we "failed" to understand the interactions all of my treatments could have on each other. It's very conceivable to my doc, my advocate team and me that while IL-2 might not be effective alone, it might have a latent boost on the immune system when triggered by something else. My doc is also making the argument that a body's antigens change over time, which might be why he has seen some of his patients respond quite favorably to IL-2 after no response initially.

The bottom line is that while IL-2 still only has an 11% response rate, it just might be able to trigger my immune system when I start the next clinical trial...which could be in March. (It is interesting to note that when NCI treated me with cell transfer therapy, they used IL-2 as a chaser).

What is IL-2 anyway? It is a protein produced by T-cells in response to antigenic or mitogenic stimulation. IL-2 is required for T-cell proliferation, discriminating between foreign (non-self) and self, and other activities crucial to regulation of the immune response. It can stimulate B-cells, monocytes, lymphokine-activated killer cells, natural killer cells, and glioma cells.

So the plan is as follows
:

Monday, Jan 11th, 7am: Admitted onto RUSH Oncology Ward on 11th floor of Hospital

Monday, Jan 11th, 6pm: 1st round of 1st series of IL-2 administered. Will receive a round every 8 hours for as long as my heart and/or mind lasts. IL-2 has lots of fun side effects which are tricky but not permanent. In 2007 I lasted for 8 rounds the 1st series and 4 rounds the 2nd. Unfortunately, there is no clear statistical evidence that receiving more rounds of IL-2 is more effective.

Friday, Jan 15th: Anticipate Release

Jan 16th - Jan 31st: Recuperate carefully with compromised immune system

Monday, Feb 1st: Admitted back onto RUSH for 2nd series of IL-2

Friday, Feb 5th: Anticipate Release

Monday, Feb 22nd: Anticipate Series of Scans to evaluate IL-2 impact

Monday, Feb 22nd: Anticipate repeating Series four more time if impact is positive.

Early March: Anticipate entry into Clinical Trial if impact is negative.

Friday, April 30th: Possibly complete 6th and final series of IL-2

Lastly, for any of you considering playing mind games with me during IL-2 treatment...just be sure to make them fun!

5 comments:

Nate said...

Holy buckets. BOOM! I will be preparing fun mind games, day-and-night, for the next six months.

Not sure yet if that means you'll be begging me to stop or begging me to keep going ;)

Well, I got your back and at least you can sleep at night knowing that your home/biz computers are working flawlessly.

Nate said...

MUCH LOVE!!!! XOXOXOXO

Jodshann@aol.com said...

Holy Buckets BOOM! indeed. Yup Girlfriend, we got your back and are standing in awe of your courage. Thanks so much for keeping us in the loop. Mind Games probably won't be on the agenda from this quadrant, but will try to think up amusements and certainly participating in PRAYER deluxe.
Much Love,
J and J

Anonymous said...

Susan,

Iam a friend of Art and Ginny's. Stay strong.

Anonymous said...

Keep your faith strong.